A payroll checklist for small businesses
Thanks to advancements in technology, payroll service providers have turned basic administrative functions into value-added employee experiences. But if you’re a small business owner who’s been paying employees on your own or working with an accountant, you might not be aware of what’s available to you by outsourcing payroll. For instance, many leading providers today offer features like employee self-service, mobile access, integration with time and attendance and electronic pay options.
ADP’s payroll checklist provides a guide to all of the latest payroll software capabilities, which you can use to evaluate vendors. When you find a payroll service provider who can handle all of your needs, you may have more time to focus on growing your business and your profits.
How to compare payroll services
So, what do you get with a payroll provider? Here are some of the core features you should expect and look for when you compare payroll services or evaluate vendors:
- Payroll calculations
- Delivery of employee pay
- Payment options: paper checks, direct deposit and mobile payment
- 24/7 access to payroll support specialists
- Tax withholding and payment
- Wage garnishment processing
Time and attendance
- Integration of time and attendance tools with the payroll system to automatically share employee data
- Paid time off (PTO) tracking, including vacation time, medical/parental leave, sick days and personal days
- Easy access to and filing of Forms W-2, 941 and W-9
- Notifications about regulatory changes in wage and tax law
Online employee self-service
- Employee access to pay stubs
- Employee management of personal data and tax withholdings
- Benefits elections and management
- Employers can run payroll, create and manage timesheets, and check tax payments from any device, anytime
- Employees using a mobile device to clock-in or out can only do so within a designated geographic range
- Reporting available across all aspects of the payroll process: payroll, tax and time and attendance
- Integration of payroll with related functions, like time and attendance, 401(k) and benefits to prevent redundant data entry and reduce errors
New COVID-related regulations
For updates on COVID-related legislation that impacts payroll and tax filing, please visit our ADP Employer Preparedness Toolkit: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
How ADP can help small business payroll processing
ADP offers small business payroll processing services to meet your needs, with flexible and affordable options that can save you time and help you comply with regulations. Some of our products also include a suite of HR features. Learn more or download our Small Business Payroll Buyer’s Checklist.
This information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be construed as tax or legal advice. ADP encourages readers to consult with appropriate legal and/or tax advisors.