What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is the process of using digital platforms to reach potential buyers or clients with the goals of increasing brand awareness and/or driving sales.
Digital marketing has become increasingly prevalent as digital media has overtaken traditional media like radio and print. For many companies today, digital is the best way to attract potential buyers.
Digital marketing has both strategic and tactical components. To develop a strategy, companies often conduct research to understand:
- Which digital platforms are most commonly used among their target audiences
- What messages and/or offer will compel those target audiences to take the desired action
- What the buyer’s journey is, and which digital platform is most relevant at distinct points throughout that journey
Once a strategy has been established, digital marketing can comprise a wide range of platforms and activities, including:
- Inbound marketing
- Lead generation
- Email marketing
- Mobile apps
- Social media
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Online advertising (both native advertising and pay-per-click)
A significant part of digital marketing also includes monitoring and reporting once a strategy and its tactics have been deployed, in order to understand what’s working, what’s not, and what to change.