A slew of popular films are laden with relatable movie quotes for small business owners. After all, Hollywood films are often about a hero's struggles to conquer adversity, and every small business owner must overcome his or her own unique struggles on a daily basis.
Here are five relatable movie quotes for small business leaders from great films that offer valuable lessons and insights:
1. "The key to this business is personal relationships." ("Jerry Maguire," 1996, TriStar Pictures)
At their most basic level, businesses aren't truly B2B (business-to-business) or B2C (business-to-consumer). Instead, they're always "H2H" (human-to-human). While factors such as product innovation and technology trends certainly play a role in your success, the personal relationships you build with your customers are often what drives them back to your small business.
2. "I am a businessman. I am anything I need to be at any time." ("Big Night," 1996, Rysher Entertainment/Timpano Production)
Small business owners have to wear a variety of hats throughout the day. After all, they are often in charge of performing a slew of different functions, from negotiating with suppliers to choosing a new store layout.
3. "Don't ever let people tell you you can't do something ... People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you you can't do it. You want something, go get it. Period." ("The Pursuit of Happyness," 2006, Sony Pictures)
It takes guts to put your life (and money) on the line to run a small business. When things aren't going well, the naysayers will appear to tell you all about it. But it's important to remember that business is about persevering and pursuing your dreams, especially when the going gets tough. No guts, no glory.
4. "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." ("Cool Hand Luke," 1967, Warner Brothers/Seven Arts)
This quote can be seen as a useful commentary on most business failures. Even if you have talented workers, a top-notch business strategy and a million great ideas, your team will not succeed unless they communicate properly. You must work together to bridge the gap between ideas and execution.
5. "Do or do not. There is no try." ("Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back," 1980, Lucasfilm)
This Yoda quote provides a golden nugget of business wisdom. Small businesses need to achieve results to survive, and so it's important to learn from your mistakes and do what you can to get back on the right track.
Overall, it's clear that small business leaders and movie heroes must overcome a slew of struggles to succeed. Both groups must persevere through times of hardship and do whatever it takes to reach their "happily ever after."
SIGN UP FOR THE THRIVE NEWSLETTER