Return to: ADP Online Privacy Portal Home
Effective date: October 1, 2014
ADP Online Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement explains how we use and disclose personal information that we collect from people who visit our websites and otherwise engage with us in online business activities. If you have additional questions about privacy or information security, please contact us at Privacy@ADP.com.
For information on how ADP protects the personal information we process for clients, please see the Privacy Statement for Employer Services Clients or the ADP Privacy Statement for Medical Records Processing Clients.
1. Types of Personal Information
This Privacy Statement explains our practices with regard to “Personal Information” collected by ADP for its own business purposes. Personal Information is any information that can be used to identify, locate or contact you. Personal Information also includes other information that may be associated with your Personal Information. We may collect the following types of Personal Information:
- Contact Information that allows us to communicate with you, such as your name, username, mailing address, telephone numbers, email address or other addresses that allow us to send you messages.
- Relationship Information that helps us do business with you, such as the types of products and services that may interest you, information on your company’s size, geographic locations, creditworthiness and demographics.
- Transaction Information about how you interact with ADP, LLC including purchases, inquiries, customer account information, and information about how you use the ADP websites and applications.
2. How ADP collects Personal Information
In many cases, we collect Personal Information directly from you. We will ask you for Personal Information (including Contact Information and Relationship Information) when you interact with us, such as registering on our websites, signing up to receive a newsletter, or making a purchase. We may collect additional Relationship Information from third party data suppliers who enhance our files and help us better understand our customers.
When you purchase products or services from ADP, we collect Transaction Information. We also collect Transaction Information when you visit our website, use our applications or contact us, such as for customer service purposes.
3. How ADP uses Personal Information
ADP uses your Personal Information to:
- Fulfill your requests for products or services and for related activities, such as product and service delivery, customer service, account management, support and training and to provide other services related to your relationship with ADP;
- Provide you with marketing communications and offers for products and services from ADP and, in some cases, our partners, including offers targeted based on your interests, business characteristics and location;
- Administer surveys and other promotional events;
- Determine if you are eligible for certain products, services or offers;
- Provide you with additional information that may be of interest, such as ADP news and announcements and technical service bulletins; and
- Manage our everyday business needs, such as payment processing and financial account management, product development, contract management, website administration, forum management, fulfillment, analytics, security and fraud prevention, corporate governance, reporting and legal compliance, and business continuity.
4. Why Personal Information is disclosed by ADP
ADP understands that you do not want to us to provide your Personal Information to third parties for their own marketing purposes. We limit our sharing of your Personal Information as follows:
- We may share your Personal Information with our affiliates, which may only use your Personal Information for the purposes listed above.
- We may also share your Personal Information with our service providers, who are bound by law or contract to protect your Personal Information and only use your Personal Information in accordance with our instructions.
- We may share your Personal Information with business partners, but only to the extent you have purchased product or service from such partner, interacted with such partner, or otherwise authorized the sharing. For example, if you are referred to ADP from a business partner website, we may provide that partner with your Contact Information and certain Transactional Information to validate the referral. We may also provide your Contact Information to companies that offer complementary products and services if you request information about these solutions.
- We may also disclose Personal Information where needed to affect the sale or transfer of business assets, to enforce our rights, protect our property, or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. We will also always disclose Personal Information when required to do so by law, such as in response to a subpoena, including to law enforcement agencies and courts in the United States and other countries where we operate.
Please note that we may also use and disclose information about you that is not personally identifiable. For example, we may publish reports that contain aggregated and statistical data about our clients. These reports do not contain any information that would enable the recipient to contact, locate or identify you. These reports also do not contain any identifiable company information.
5. Cookies and Other Data Collection Technologies and Google Analytics
When you visit our website or use our mobile applications, we collect certain Transaction Information by automated means, using technologies such as cookies, pixel tags, browser analysis tools, server logs and web beacons.
For example, when you visit our website, we place cookies on your computer. Cookies are small text files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings in your browser. Cookies allow us to recognize you when you return. They also help us provide a customized experience and enable us to detect certain kinds of fraud. In many cases, you can manage cookie preferences and opt-out of having cookies and other data collection technologies used by adjusting the settings on your browser. All browsers are different, so visit the “help” section of your browser to learn about cookie preferences and other privacy settings that may be available.
ADP also uses Flash Cookies (also known as Local Stored Objects) and similar technologies to personalize and enhance your online experience. The Adobe Flash Player is an application that allows rapid development of dynamic content, such as video clips and animation. We use Flash cookies for security purposes and to help remember settings and preferences similar to browser cookies, but these are managed through a different interface than the one provided by your web browser. To manage Flash cookies, please see Adobe’s website at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html or visit www.adobe.com. ADP does not use Flash cookies or similar technologies for behavioral or interest-based advertising purposes.
Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on website pages or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed a specific action. When you access these pages or open or click an email, the pixel tags and web beacons generate a notice of that action. These tools allow us to measure response to our communications and improve our web pages and promotions.
We collect many different types of information from cookies and other technologies. For example, we may collect information from the device you use to access our website, your operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. Our server logs also record the IP address assigned to the device you use to connect to the Internet. An IP address is a unique number that devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. We may also collect information about the website you were visiting before you came to ADP and the website you visit after you leave our site.
In many cases, the information we collect using cookies and other tools is only used in a non-identifiable way, without any reference to Personal Information. For example, we use information we collect about all website users to optimize our websites and to understand website traffic patterns.
In some cases, we do associate the information we collect using cookies and other technology with your Personal Information. This Privacy Statement applies to the information when we associate it with your Personal Information.
ADP has relationships with third party advertising companies to place advertisements on this website and other websites, and to perform tracking and reporting functions for this website and other websites. These third party advertising companies may place cookies on your computer when you visit our website or other websites so they can display targeted advertisements to you. These third party advertising companies do not collect Personal Information in this process, and we do not give any Personal Information to them as part of this process. However, this Privacy Statement does not cover the collection methods or use of the information collected by these vendors. For more information about third party advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) at www.networkadvertising.org. You can opt out of being targeted by many third party advertising companies by visiting www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp or http://preferences.truste.com/truste/.
One of ADP’s third party advertising vendors is Omniture. If you would like more information on how to remove yourself from the tracking and reporting functions performed for this website by Omniture, please visit the Omniture Opt-Out Page at http://www.omniture.com/en/privacy/2o7 and follow the relevant instructions.
Another third party vendor used by ADP is Google Analytics. For information on how Google Analytics uses data please visit “How Google uses data when you use our partners sites or apps”, located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
6. Tell-A-Friend Functions
ADP offers “tell-a-friend” functionality on some of our websites. If you choose to use this function, we will collect Contact Information for your friend. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email with the information you specified or inviting him or her to visit the site. ADP uses this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and does not retain the information.
7. California Privacy Rights
ADP does not collect third party online behavioral web browsing information (data collected over time across web sites owned or operated by different entities for purposes of delivering advertising based on preferences or interests known or inferred from the data collected) for use by ADP or our clients for advertising purposes (often referred to as Online Behavioral Advertising or OBA). ADP does, however, use third-party advertising vendors that use first-and third-party cookies to gather information as individuals interact with ADP's and other websites.
You may set your computer's Internet browser settings so you will be notified when you receive any third party cookie, which includes ADP's cookies, and be given the choice to block the cookie. In addition, there are also other controls within certain browsers or available through third parties that enables more extensive blocking of cookies. Some new browsers have a 'do-not-track' feature. When this feature is turned on, ADP treats this as if you had opted out of our online advertising products. To learn how to manage your browser based settings and cookies, please visit:
ADP offers mobile applications that allow you to access your account, interact with us online and receive other information via your smartphone. All Personal Information collected by ADP via our mobile applications is protected by the terms of this Privacy Statement or our Privacy Statement for Employer Services Clients, as applicable.
You can always limit the information you provide to ADP. You can also limit the communications that ADP sends to you. To opt-out of commercial emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any email we send you.
Please note that even if you opt-out of promotional emails, we may still need to contact you with important transactional information about your account. For example, even if you opt-out of emails, we may still send you activity confirmations and account statements.
If you have any questions about your choices or if you need any assistance with opting-out, please contact us via email to Privacy@ADP.com. You can also write us at the address in the How to Contact Us section below. If you send us a letter, please provide your name, address, email address, and information about the communications that you do not want to receive.
10. Access and Correction
ADP respects your right to access and correct your Personal Information. If you have an online account, you can log into your account at any time to access and update the information you have provided to us. Additionally, ADP complies with all laws regarding access and correction. If you need assistance updating your Personal Information, please contact us via email to Privacy@ADP.com. You can also write us at the address in the How to Contact Us section below. If you send us a letter, please provide your name, address, email address, and detailed information about the change you would like to make.
ADP has implemented an information security program that contains administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your Personal Information. For example, we use industry-standard encryption technology to secure sensitive Personal Information when it is being collected and transmitted over the Internet as well as firewalls, site monitoring and intrusion detection software.
Please note that you should also take steps to protect yourself, especially online. When you register at ADP websites, choose a strong password, and do not use the same password that you use on other sites. Do not share your password with anyone else. ADP will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or in an unsolicited e-mail. Also remember to sign out of the website and close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your Personal Information and correspondence if others have access to your computer.
12. Notice to Residents of Countries outside the U.S.
ADP is headquartered in the United States of America. Your Personal Information may be accessed by or transferred to the United States or to our affiliates and data processors elsewhere in the world. By providing us with your Personal Information, you consent to this transfer. We will always protect the privacy and security of your Personal Information, regardless of where it is processed or stored.
Personal Information transfers from the European Economic Area and other countries with data transfer restrictions are authorized by approved model contracts, Safe Harbor certifications or other appropriate means.
13. Privacy Policies of Third Parties
This Privacy Statement only addresses the use and disclosure of information by ADP. Other websites that may be accessible through this website have their own privacy policies and data collection, use and disclosure practices. Our affiliates, suppliers and business partners have their own privacy policies too. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the privacy statements provided by all third parties prior to providing them with information or taking advantage of an offer or promotion.
14. Forums, Product Reviews and Other Public Areas
If you have applied for employment with ADP, the Personal Information submitted with your job application will be added to our Talent Community and used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, we may send you information about new job opportunities within ADP as well as other career development resources. You can set your Talent Community preferences at any time via our Career Center.
16. Changes to this Privacy Statement
From time to time, we may update this Privacy Statement to reflect new or different privacy practices. We will place a notice online when we make material changes to this the Privacy Statement. Additionally, if the changes will materially affect the way we use or disclose previously-collected Personal Information, we will notify you about the change by sending a notice to the primary email address associated with your account.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Statement. You can always reach us online at Privacy@ADP.com. You can reach us via mail to
Global Privacy Office
One ADP Boulevard
Roseland, NJ 07068-1728 USA
Please note this version does not substantively change the way we treat personal information compared to the previous version of the privacy statement available here.
REVISED AND POSTED AS OF: October 1, 2014.